As a child I didn’t really care for bell peppers. I think my mom might have put them in her spaghetti sauce, but it definitely was not my favorite vegetables. Now as an adult I enjoy bell peppers, but cooked. I really prefer to eat them stuffed.
For those of you wanting to try these yummy stuffed bell peppers, below is an easy recipe that doesn’t require too many ingredients:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 6 bell peppers
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Add water and rice to medium size pot and heat to bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook about 20-25 minutes until rice has absorbed the water. Do not lift lid.
- While rice is cooking, in a skillet add ground beef and seasonings. Cook on medium until meat is lightly browned. Drain meat.
- Cut and remove the tops and membranes of the bell peppers.
- In a bowl, mix the browned beef, cooked rice and 1½ cans of tomato sauce,
- Spoon an equal amount of the mixture into each hollowed pepper. Add remaining sauce to tops of bell peppers.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour.
- Tips – Add cheese to top when they are done for more flavor! Chop the tops in little pieces and add to the ground beef when cooking it to give it more flavor too!
For those of you that eat stuffed bell peppers, what do you prefer in yours?