Looking for something different to try? I have a recipe that I want to share that was excerpted from the book Indian Inspired Gluten-Free Cooking.
This recipe is simple! It is also a savory way to prepare sweet potatoes with delicate seasonings and is a great side dish to go along with a poultry entree!
Now for the SWEET recipe…
Sweet Potatoes with Coconut Recipe
- 1 pound sweet potatoes peeled and sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 whole dried red chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 green chili pepper chopped (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt more or less to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh coconut or unsweetened shredded dried coconut
Steam cubed sweet potatoes about 5 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat (the oil should be hot but not smoking). Add red chili pepper, mustard seeds, and cumin seeds. Stir until mustard seeds start to pop and cumin seeds change color to light brown.
Add steamed sweet potatoes, green chili pepper, and salt. Gently mix with the seasonings for 1 to 2 minutes.
Add coconut and gently mix. Serve warm.
I don’t usually make dishes with sweet potatoes but this recipe sounds tasty!