Below are some of celebrity Chef Cat Cora’s food safety prep tips:
1) When thawing frozen meat and seafood, don’t leave it out. Put it on a plate and cover with plastic wrap. Make sure to keep it in the refrigerator.
2) Use a glass cutting board when slicing raw meats and vegetables. The surfaces of plastic and wood cutting boards can be cut by knives during food preparation, and bacteria can hide in these porous areas.
3) Clean as you go, washing knives, cutting boards, dishes and prep tools after each use with a dish liquid like Ultra Palmolive Antibacterial Dish Liquid – the only dish liquid approved to kill 99.9 percent of Salmonella, E. coli and Staph.
And now for one of Cat Cora’s recipes…..
Grilled Vegetables and Ginger Citrus Mayonnaise
Serves 6 to 8 people
- 2 each crookneck or summer squash; baby zucchini; large whole carrots; large fennel, or 3 medium fennel bulbs
- 5-6 shallots
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
Ginger Citrus Mayonnaise
- 3 juicy oranges, grapefruits, meyer lemons, mineolas, tangerines, mandarins, blood oranges, etc., cut in half (6 halves total)
- 3 TBS (or more for desired consistency) store bought preferred mayonnaise
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground ginger
1) Preheat grill for vegetables.
2) To make the mayonnaise, squeeze all the juice out from 5 of the 6 citrus halves into a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. When the juice begins to boil, lower the heat to medium-high and reduce the juice until thick and syrupy, being careful not to let it burn.
3) Remove from heat, pour into a bowl, and allow to cool slightly. (At this point you can grill the vegetables). Whisk in mayonnaise, roasted ginger, & cayenne pepper until smooth. Squeeze in juice from last remaining citrus half, & season to taste with salt and pepper.
4) Cut all veggies in half lengthwise, rub all sides sparingly with olive oil, & sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Grill, cut side down first, for 4-6 minutes if small, 5-8 minutes if large pieces. Flip so skin side is down, and grill all an additional 1-2 minutes, until all veggies are firm but easily sliced with a knife. Serve on platter alongside bowl of ginger citrus mayonnaise or drizzled on top of vegetables.
You can find out more about Chef Cora Cat and more recipes at: www.catcora.com