When it comes to muffins, my favorites are blueberry and banana nut. I had some bananas that I didn’t want to go to waste so I decided yesterday to make some banana nut muffins using whole wheat flour. I also used buttermilk instead of regular milk and they came out really moist!
Below is my recipe for whole wheat banana nut muffins:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter (softened)
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup walnuts (chopped in small pieces)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1¼ cup bananas (mashed)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- In a mixing bowl cream sugars and butter. Add baking powder.
- Add eggs and mix.
- In a small bowl add baking soda to buttermilk and stir. Then add to other mixture.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Fill muffin tins liners ⅔ cup full and cook at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 2-3 minutes prior to removing from tin.
- Makes about 18 muffins.
You can of course substitute some all-purpose flour and regular milk if you prefer. Or you might want to use pecans instead of walnuts.
What kind of muffins are your favorites?