For those of you that LOVE sloppy joes and love pizza, I have the perfect dinner solution….. Sloppy Joe Pizza!
Ever since I learned to make homemade pizza, I am always looking for new topping ideas. A couple weeks ago I was craving sloppy joes. I had ground beef and a can of Manwich but I had no buns. I contiplated making my own bread to make buns and then thought that sloppy joe mix would probably taste great on some pizza dough.
The Sloppy Joe Pizza was a hit at my house. My kids might think I am nuts sometimes but I bet they enjoy my creative meals I sometimes come up with.
Want to try it yourself? Here is my recipe that I used which includes directions on making your own pizza dough!
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 packet instant dry yeast
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 15.5 ounce can Manwich Sloppy Joe Sauce
- In a bowl, add warm water and yeast. Wait about 5 minutes to allow the yeast to “proof”. Stir after the 5 minutes to make sure yeast is completely dissolved.
- In another bowl, add flour, onion powder, garlic powder, sugar, oregano. Mix well, then add olive oil and mix again.
- In a stand mixer using the dough hook, add both bowls into mixer bough and turn on mixer to start kneading the mixture to create a dough consistency. Add more flour if necessary. Keep kneading until the dough is no longer sticky and feels soft to the touch. Roll the dough into a ball form.
- In a bowl, coat with oil and place ball of dough into bowl, rolling it around for a light coat. Put bowl aside for 2 to 3 hours to allow dough to rise.
- While dough is rising brown ground beef, drain and add Manwhich sauce. Heat to warm. Set aside.
- Once dough has risen (should be about double it’s size), place on a lightly floured surface and use rolling pin to roll into a round shape for your pizza.
- Evenly spread sloppy joe sauce you made. Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 475 for 11-12 minutes. Pizza will be done with dough is golden and cheese on top is completely melted.
What creative toppings do you put on your pizza?