Back when I was young I remember I LOVED sloppy joes. I also have always loved corn bread. I really like the texture and I like that it has a sweet flavor to it. Since sloppy joes can be a little sweet and so can cornbread it only makes sense to put the two together.
Pictured above is a sloppy joe casserole I made for the family last week. Want to try it? Here is an easy recipe below:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 can tomato sauce (15oz)
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- 1 box Krusteaz Honey Cornbread & Muffin MIx (15 oz)
- In a medium size skillet add ground beef and chopped onions. Cook over medium heat until meat is lightly browned. Drain.
- Add can of tomato sauce Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and mustard and stir. Heat until boiling then remove from heat.
- In a bowl, add box of cornbread mix, milk, egg and oil. Stir until all mix is moistened.
- Spoon beef mixture into an 8×8 casserole dish. Top meat mixture with the shredded cheese. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cornbread comes out clean.
How do you like your sloppy joes?