For years I cheated when it came to making beef stroganoff at home and used Hamburger Helper’s version. I only really made it though because it was something that my kids liked and asked for. I recently thought I would try making it homemade, using steak instead of hamburger meat.
I was happy when my children said that they thought the new version of mom’s stroganoff was good. I will definitely be making it again. Here is the beef stroganoff recipe that I used:
- 1 to 1½ pounds of beef sirloin steak (thinly sliced)
- 1½ cups beef broth
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- hot cooked egg noodles
- In a skillet add garlic and butter over medium heat for about 1 minute until butter is melted.
- Add beef to skillet and cool on medium high heat until meat is browned. Stir in 1 cup of the beef broth, salt and Worcestershire sauce. Heat until boiling, cover and lower the temperature to simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- In a bowl, add remaining broth and flour and mix. Add to skillet and heat to boiling. Once it has began to boil, stir for about 1 minute and reduce temperature to medium high. Add sour cream to mixture and stir until mixture is hot, but NOT boiling.
- Serve over noodles.
I know many of you probably prefer onions and mushrooms in yours, but I got 4 kids that wouldn’t go for the mushrooms if I tried to add them. Nor the husband…